4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Dodge Ram 1500 Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Tow Mirror LED lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Ironhead
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Mirror LED lights

I had half the lights go out on my passenger side tow mirror about 6 months ago, the dealer replaced the the mirror under warranty. Yesterday I went back because two lights went out on the drivers side mirror. The dealer is ordering a replacement led for the mirror. All the prior threads I read said the led cannot be replaced and you have to replace the entire mirror. Has Ram finally wised up and made replacement lamps for the tow mirrors?

Old 11-13-2012, 12:16 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, but you can fix them yourself pretty easily:

Side view mirror LED's

There's no technical reason these couldn't be easily replaceable parts. The LED modules pop right out. It's just a matter of Chrysler not wanting to carry the individual components as a separate SKU and not enough reason for a third party to make them.

Rob

Old 11-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Ironhead
Professional

My truck is still under warranty and the dealer order part #68067759AA. Looks like you can get just the lamps now.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:33 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Perhaps we're talking about different items. I thought you meant the LEDs under the mirror for the 'courtesy lights'. The part you listed is for the turn signal.

Rob

Old 11-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Ironhead
Professional

Yes I was talking about the turn signal, but while doing a search on the part number the dealer listed I also found part #68087239AA which is for the puddle lights. Chrysler calls it a "Ground illuminator".

Last edited by Ironhead; 11-13-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:00 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Interesting. I stand corrected. Nice to know they can be had.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhead
I had half the lights go out on my passenger side tow mirror about 6 months ago, the dealer replaced the the mirror under warranty. Yesterday I went back because two lights went out on the drivers side mirror. The dealer is ordering a replacement led for the mirror. All the prior threads I read said the led cannot be replaced and you have to replace the entire mirror. Has Ram finally wised up and made replacement lamps for the tow mirrors?
Ironhead,

To fix the lights previously, I do believe you would have had to order the entire mirror assembly, however, as you mentioned, you can now order just the turn signal lamps, as they are doing in your case.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:34 PM
RAMULAK
Captain

Had to replace both mine early on. Both filled with water. I think they should have included a weep hole in the lowest part of the lens....
Both of the replacements have been working for three years now though. So they must have done something right.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:05 PM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

Thanks for posting the replacement part numbers. I can't believe these LED lights are failing so soon, I thought LED's had the advantage of a long-life duration verse traditional bulbs.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by POWER SEDAN
Thanks for posting the replacement part numbers. I can't believe these LED lights are failing so soon, I thought LED's had the advantage of a long-life duration verse traditional bulbs.
Speaking about the courtesy light LEDS:

It's not the LEDs themselves burning out, it is the fact that these LED modules are allowing water to get into them that corrodes the delicate contact path leading to the LEDs. They are not as weather-resistant as they should be.

Rob

Quick Reply: Tow Mirror LED lights